Thursday, September 21, 2006

Paean to a titanium powerbook

This man has written a eulogy for his powerbook: my powerbook g4


I would write my own funereal ode, but my titanium powerbook is not dead yet! It lies dormant, sleeping out the last days of it's old age like a tired old dog, and my macbook pro yips like a puppy around it in circles. So I will write a paean to it.

I still love the titanium, it was the best computer I ever owned. Even better than the macbook pro (and I write this in a whisper on my mb-pro's keyboard). Not that it was superior machine, neither faster nor quieter nor particularly less groin-scorching, but it exuded coolness. It was made from Titanium!! What is used in airplanes! And it burned CDs! And it had wireless internet! And it was less than one-inch thick! And I could play quake 3 in an airport! This was a fucking sweet computer, and I owned it.

Well, I owned the shit out of that computer. And I still do. And it still runs, although the dvd drive has only about a 15% success rate at reading discs, and the single 1GHz G4 chip lopes doggedly along the sidewalk of the 8-lane highway of computing speed, and the 1 GB of RAM saturates for a java developer as rapidly as a sponge in a swimming pool. It is still a great computer.

Here's to you, powerbook!





technorati tags:, , , , , , ,

No comments: