Thursday, January 18, 2007

TV

George R. R. Martin's *A Song of Ice and Fire* Series is going to be made into a show for HBO.

Yes! That would be awesome, especially since one guy who did Rome is going to be involved. I hope it turns out well. Unfortunately, they had this quote: "Martin has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011." I'm going to be well into my 30s when I finish the series. Damn!

HDTV or not...

I want to buy an HDTV, and the prices have gotten pretty reasonable at Costco. You can get a 32-inch for around $600-700 if you don't mind the no-name brand, and the Sharp Aquos can be found for a good price as well.

I was kind of hoping that the Apple TV appliance would do a lot more (e.g. PVR features), and that it would be one more reason to go with HDTV, but unfortunately I don't see it as being very useful for me. I don't want to buy either movies or TV shows through iTunes since I can get higher resolution TV episodes off of bittorrent, and I pay for Netflix to get movies. The Apple TV doesn't even play DVDs or let you rip them.

What I want is something in a set-top form factor to replace the old MythTV box that I used to have. And that it doesn't cost much money. I suppose my titanium powerbook hooked up with VGA or DVI will have to do. I need to figure out a remote-control for it.

No comments: